X11 crashes on startup

I have done something to my X11 config, and now I am getting errors as follows. I am not sure of exactly what went wrong, but I was installing XFCE as a desktop manager.

What I was getting in /home/linaro/.xsession-errors was:

Xsession: X session started for linaro at Sat Nov 10 09:41:44 UTC 2018
localuser:linaro being added to access control list
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information
libGL error: unable to load driver: rockchip_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: rockchip
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information
libGL error: unable to load driver: rockchip_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: rockchip

(Edit: see this issue. Does this mean the Rock Pi 4 can only support OpenGL ES but not OpenGL API?)

I am also getting:

dbus-update-activation-environment: warning: error sending to systemd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1

Also, is there any way to reset my X11/desktop setup back to the original (without re-imaging the whole card)? It was working out of the box; but when I was setting up xfce I must have broken something.

(Note to self: look at build/extlinux/*.conf )

I don’t have one yet, but indeed its common for most SBC’s to only support OpenGLES, in this case the GPU is quite powerful and can support 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 which puts it on a par with OpenGL in terms of performance when you code in OpenGLES 3.2 but you do need to use OpenGLES API’s. And I’m not 100% sure at the moment that the drivers for full access to the GPU are currently available, so you may only get emulation using the Mesa libs. We probably have to wait for the community to catch up with this before we can really get into the GPU.

The Raspberry and some others make a fair attempt to emulate full OpenGL but its done with some special emulation drivers and has some (sometimes severe) performance issues when using non shared features between ES and full GL.

This was posted a few months ago so I’m sure you’ve done the sensible thing and just reburned the sd back to default.

Nvm, only now checked date of this most. Sorry for necro.

If he used Debian - then defaults is Mali’s driver. Which as you stated only OpenGL ES, but for some reason mesa libraries overwrited them. As OP said most likely because he tried to reinstall graphic’s desktop, but there should not be problem like this…

Mesa libs overwrite because they are more uptodate than the Mali libs and should provide better performance, but I don’t know if they are emulating or have direct access to the GPU, that will depend on the way the OS was built.

To be precise, libmali conflicts with mesa, so mesa should not be installed in first place

ok, fine, the result is the same though, non optimal performance